1. Filling out the sign-up form
Registration happens through our online sign-up form below. Places are available in limited numbers (Funside Balaton is fully sold out every year), the registration process ends when all places for a given camp are filled up. When a session (week) or class type is full, a waiting list is opened.
Please note: when choosing your classes on the sign-up form, the order of the choices (within the same week) will not affect the actual order of your classes (e.g. if you would like to pick a combination of English and Tennis, it doesn’t matter if you select English first or Tennis first, it will not affect the final order of your camp timetable).
2. Confirmation and camp fees
Once we have received your online registration form, our system will send you a confirmation email to the parents’ email addresses provided on the sign-up form (each sign-up form is also manually checked by our team) usually within 2 working days, however, during the first days of the registration period this might take multiple days due to high demand – thank you for your patience! The confirmation email will also include all necessary information regarding the means of payment. Our booking system will hold your place for the following four weeks. During this time you may complete your registration to the camp by paying the camp fees. If you are unable to complete the payments during this period, you may request us to hold your place for a limited additional period.
General Terms and Conditions, Camp Policy and Privacy
Extraordinary Terms and Conditions
Our summer camps, including our Balaton overnight camp and our Budapest day camps, are still planned to go ahead as scheduled. We believe that the 3 to 4 months still remaining until the dates make it more that possible for this to happen and we’ll continue to make sure that camps can open, if the circumstances allow it. We are happy that our Balaton camp is still nearly full for the summer, and based on the feedback we’ve been receiving, we are happy to know that so many of you share our outlook and look forward to the summer with us! We are continuously keeping informed, and as camp organizers we are in direct contact with authorities, including local health services, and there is also ongoing dialogue between all parties involved in the organization of the camp.
If order for the camp to go ahead this year, if conditions allow, we have amended our Terms and Conditions, as seen here. By registering, you confirm that you have read and understood these conditions, and accept them as legally binding.
Please find our latest updates regarding the COVID-19 novel coronavirus, as well as our new Terms and Conditions for the Funside Balaton camp, below.
Released: March 13, 2020
1. Our plans and our interpretation of current events
Our summer camps, including our Balaton overnight camp, are still planned to go ahead as scheduled. We believe that the 3.5 months (for some weeks it is 4 to 4.5 months) still remaining until the dates, make it more that possible for this to happen and we’ll continue to make sure that camp can open, if the circumstances allow it. We are happy that our Balaton camp is still nearly full for the summer, and based on the feedback we’ve been receiving, we are happy to know that so many of you share our outlook and look forward to the summer with us! We are continuously keeping informed, and as camp organizers we are in direct contact with authorities, including local health services, and there is also ongoing dialogue between all parties involved in the organization of the camp.
The way we interpret recent Hungarian policy regarding measures taken by the government to prevent the spread of the virus, the vagueness of current legislation does not yet specify or deny the possibility of holding children’s camps in the summer. We believe, however, that this will change, as it is in the interest of the hundreds of thousands of local youth to know under what circumstances summer camps can take place this year, and we strongly believe that before the school year is over, new government policies will be issued on this topic. Alternatively, the epidemic may be over before the school year ends, making any such legislation unnecessary, which is the result we are all surely hoping for!
2. Updated Terms and Conditions – action needed
For the past 10 years, Funside Balaton has been organized by the Funside Association. The single purpose of our association is to organize summer camps for children (along with our Balaton camp, this applies to our Villányi str. Budapest day camp), with 5 staff members working year-round to plan, organize and execute these camps for our campers each year. While not a charitable organization, our association is a non-profit, and can therefore amass no significant reserves year on year. Summer camps are our passion, and our mission has always been to provide great education and life long memories to the children who attend our camps, while also creating social impact as a result of our work.
Given that 100% of the association’s budget comes from its camps, during this extraordinary situation, the only way to ensure the survival of the camp is to share the risks among all parties concerned, in a way that participants accept that in case of an unlikely cancellation of the camp due to an elongated health crisis, a small part of the camp fees would not be refunded. Such an event would mean that the association would cease to exist and no more Funside Balaton camps would be possible in the future. Naturally we have taken every possible step in order to minimize the risks that our campers would have to bear, including taking significant pay cuts, reorganizing and even relocating our staff, as well as other cost cutting measures, to ensure the future of the camp in these difficult times.
This new set of rules we have crafted to fit this extraordinary situation ensures, given enough positive responses from our campers and parents, that the camp can go ahead this year as scheduled if the conditions allow it, and it also guarantees, that an unlikely one time cancellation does not mean that the camp will never be held again.
The extraordinary terms set to take effect after your confirmation:
- 40% of the base camp fee will become a non-refundable camp registration fee.
- The remaining fees must only be paid if the camp can go ahead with all certainty (determined by local legislation in effect on June 1st 2020, or earlier, if the epidemic does end earlier than that date).
- Once the new terms take effect, in case of an individual cancellation (withdrawal of registration) or in case of an outright cancellation of the entire camp, 60% of the base camp fee and 100% of any extra fee (incl. premium class extra fees, travel costs, photo costs etc.) is refunded. (In these cases the non-refundable 40% registration fee legally becomes a contribution, and is not refunded).
- If you have already paid all your camp fees and you accept the new conditions, then 60% of the base camp fee, as well as 100% of any extra fees will be returned to you now (unless you ask us to hold these fees for now, but in all cases of a cancellation, these fees are refunded to you).
- If you do not accept the new conditions, then you can still cancel your registration and have your camp fees refunded now.
What situations can affect the camp?
The camp is cancelled in the event of:
- If Hungary’s government (or other corresponding authorities, including the National Health Services or the so called Coronavirus Operation Group) create legislation or binding rules before June 1st 2020 that explicitly forbid any children’s summer camps from being held in Hungary at any time overlapping with the dates of the camp (July 5th to August 8th), thereby rendering the organization of this year’s camp impossible, or
- the camp is automatically cancelled if no such legislation is passed, but the current extraordinary decree, taken effect on March 12th 2020, forbidding indoors events hosting 100 persons or more, remains in effect until the date of June 1st 2020, thereby creating a situation where the remaining time until the first day of camp is insufficiently low in order for the camp to be responsibly held even in the case of a further legislation change happening after such date.
The camp is automatically considered permitted if the epidemic recedes or ends on or before June 1st 2020, which is defined by the following:
- if government legislation is passed before June 1st 2020 explicitly allowing summer camps to be held, or
- no such legislation is passed but the legislation taken effect on March 12th 2020 regarding indoors events is withdrawn due to the moderation of the epidemic;
- in the event that either of the above takes place, we will notify all campers and parents via email, and the remaining camp fees are then to be paid within 5 days;
- if this happens, then the new, extraordinary Terms and Conditions will no longer have effect, and the General Terms and Conditions will resume as the guiding principles of the camp.
As the safety of our campers is our utmost priority, we are also preparing preventive measures concerning check-in, health care and illness prevention during the camp. We will share further details about these measures with the parents at a later date, most likely as a part of our regular Parents’ Information Bulletin, sent to parents via email 2 to 3 weeks before their chosen week.